Injectable treatments have changed the face of aesthetic medicine forever. Rather than relying solely on plastic surgery to age more gracefully, adults of all ages can now manage their appearance with injectables like BOTOX and dermal fillers. Treatment takes only a few minutes and does not hurt. In most situations, there are also very few, if any, side effects from injections. That said, because injections are made beneath the skin, there is a risk of bruising. While a skilled injector can minimize this risk, there is no way to guarantee a bruise-free experience. There are, however, some ways you can improve your odds.
Who is More Likely to Bruise?
Genetics plays a role in a person’s risk of bruising. Beyond that, there are a few avoidable factors. These include:
- Exercising right before injectable treatment
- Frequent alcohol consumption
- Use of blood thinners
- Systemic inflammation
Reducing The Risk of Bruising after Injectable Treatment
Bruises that occur after injectable treatment tend to resolve in about 2 days. Still, it would be better to sidestep this experience altogether. Suggestions for reducing the risk of bruising include:
- Avoid the use of blood-thinning medications and supplements before treatment. If you take a prescription blood-thinner, talk to your prescribing doctor before making any changes to dosing. Nonprescription substances to avoid include ibuprofen, aspirin, vitamin E, St. John’s Wort, krill oil, and Ginko Biloba, to name a few. Also, avoid alcohol for at least 24 hours before and after injections.
- Take Arnica Montana or apply Arnica gel to the treatment area. Arnica can be taken starting a few days before injections as a preventive measure.
- Eat pineapple. Studies suggest that this fruit is high in enzymes that help prevent bruising. Pineapple should be eaten for the first two days after injectable treatment.
- Take it easy for 2 to 3 days. Strenuous physical activity and exercise increase blood circulation and can cause bruising.
- Elevated rest. Avoid lying down for about 4 hours after injectable treatment. If you rest, do so in a recliner or on two or more pillows.
- Avoid touching the area for at least 6 hours.
- If bruising or swelling occurs, place a cold compress on the area for 5 to 10 minutes. Repeat hourly as needed.
Injectable treatments are advantageous for several reasons. To see how injectable treatment can boost your youthful appearance, contact our Lake Charles office at 337. 477.0011.